Edward MacDowell was one of America’s greatest composers and pianists of the Romantic Period (1830-1900).
He and his wife Marian bought and renovated a farm in Peterborough, New Hampshire in order to create a place where Edward could compose music without interruption.
After his death in 1907, Marian expanded their private sanctuary in the woods so more artists could develop their skills in the solitude.
Originally, six cottages were set up with food and supplies provided daily for each artist. Since its initial inception, the Colony has grown from 60 acres to 600 acres and from 6 cottages to 32 one-person studios. Nearly 9,000 artists have been awarded fellowships to date.
Hyla Florence Long learned about and visited the MacDowell Colony. She was inspired to begin a local chapter in Oklahoma and on February 7, 1920 Long and some of her friends organized the Oklahoma City Club of Allied Arts.
The Club began with 27 members and grew to become one of OKC’s most prestigious social clubs. By 1951 the Club grew to its peak membership with over 800 supporters.
The Collection includes photographs, scrapbooks, yearbooks, and programs.
The University of Central Oklahoma recognizes the university's main campus is located on the traditional lands of the Caddo and Wichita people. Visit the UCO Land Acknowledgement website to learn more.