Friends of the Library
Chambers Library Comic Fest
University of Central Oklahoma
Saturday, March 3, 2018
10:00 am to 2:00pm
Comic Fest is a FREE event for UCO and Greater Oklahoma City communities. It features cosplay, vendors, panels, and board game play.
For more information, contact Michele Ramsdell at (405) 974-2877 or email@example.com
Thanks to our generous donors, we have several great Door Prizes!
- Echo Dot, donated by Friends of Chambers Library
- Various signed comics, donated by Sandra Hope and Adam Archer
- $20 Gift Card to Half Price Books, donated by Half Price Books
- Signed copy of Okie Comics, # 1, Inaugural Edition, donated by Okie Comics
- Month Pass to Boarding House, donated by Boarding House, Guthrie
- Signed copy of 144: Cursed by Dallas Caldwell, donated by author
- $10 Gift Certificate to Best of Books, donated by Best of Books
- Incredible Hulk with Bill Bixby DVD, donated by Edgardo George
- Wonder Woman DVD, donated by Edgardo George
- Star Wars Black Series Jyn Erso 6” Action Figure (from Rogue One), donated by Edgardo George
- Key fob and bookmark clip, donated by Sew Nerdy
- Various books, donated by Best of Books
- Various Comics, donated by Friends of Chambers Library
- Various Comics, donated by Cory Castoe
Children’s Craft Area, including Superhero School from New World Comics
Board Game area
TWO COSPLAY CONTESTS
Group A: Children birth to 14 years old
- 1st place: DC Comics Multiverse Justice League, Cyborg 6” Action Figure
- 2nd place: DK Ultimate Spider-Man Book
- 3rd place: Marvel Legends Infinite Series Marvel's Nova 6" Action Figure
Group B: Children 15 years old to adults
- 1st place: Marvel Legends Black Panther 6” Action Figure
- 2nd place: Star Wars Visual Encyclopedia Book
- 3rd place: Invincible Iron Man: Ironheart, Vol. 1 graphic novel
First 50 contestants get a Sonic Value Card, donated by Sonic Corporation
ARTISTS AND VENDORS
- Jerry Bennett, Artist
- Best of Books, Edmond
- Alexandra Brodt, Artist
- Dallas Caldwell/144 Creations, Edmond
- Michael Garrett, Artist
- Edgardo George, Artist
- Allen Grimes, Artist
- James Hostler, Artist
- Inky Paw Print Studio, Stillwater
- New World Comics, OKC
- Okie Comics, Norman
- Brian Reynolds/The 501st, OKC
- Sew Nerdy, Moore
- Dallion Turley/Doghouse Collectables, Tulsa
- World of Comics, Tulsa
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Door Prizes will be distributed throughout the event!
Doors, vendors, children’s craft area, board game area opens
Children’s Costume Contest (birth to 14 years old)
|11:00am - 11:40am||
“Bringing Your Comic Characters to Life!” - Speaker/Artist: Jerry Bennett
Jerry Bennett is a full time illustrator who illustrates comics, storyboards, and children’s books whose clients include Stan Lee, Marvel, Lucasfilm, Mattel and Dreamworks. He art directed and led cinematography for the animated short film, Even in Death, which won several film festival awards. Jerry is currently creating original licensed sketchcards for Upper Deck’s Marvel line, and Topps’ Star Wars and The Walking Dead sets.
|11:45am - 12:25pm||
"I Can't Draw... Can I Still Write Comics?" - Speaker: James Daro, MFA
James Daro has served as a lecturer in the UCO English Department since 2001. He teaches creative writing (playwriting, screenwriting, scriptwriting for the graphic narrative) as well as literature and composition. He holds a Master of Fine Arts in Interdisciplinary Art from Vermont's Goddard College.
Adult Costume Contest (15 years old and older)
“What's Going on in Oklahoma Comics” - Speaker: Jeff Provine, publisher of Okie Comics
Jeff Provine is publisher of Okie Comics Magazine, a quarterly anthology of comics made by Oklahomans about Oklahoma. A lifelong comics fan, he became serious about creating comics in college, writing The Academy web comic through its 10-year daily run. He has written for Literati Press, Grey Haven, and other anthologies. Jeff also leads the Oklahoma City Ghost Tour and the Downtown Norman Ghost Tour.
Drawing for Final Door Prize - Echo Dot
No weapons of any kind, including prop weapons are allowed at the Chambers Library Comic Fest per UCO campus policy. Any weapon brought on campus must be returned to your vehicle before you can enter the event.
Chambers Library Comic Fest is a family-friendly event, so please forgo overly gory or risqué costumes or costume pieces. Masks may be brought, but can only be worn during the cosplay contest in which you are entered. The library staff reserves the right to ask attendees with inappropriate costumes to change or leave.