About the Library
Severe Weather Information
In the event of a severe winter storm, University officials will determine whether to close the University. Official closings will be communicated on Centralities, UCOnnect, the UCO website, (www.uco.edu) the UCO Facebook page, UCO Twitter, Closing Information Line (405-974-2002) and in the opt-in Central Alert weather notification text.
If you have not already signed up for a Central Alert weather text message regarding weather closing information, sign in to your UCOnnect account and click on "My Central Alert" on the top right hand corner of the page.
A tornado watch means weather is favorable for tornados, but no tornado has been detected in the immediate area.
A tornado warning means a tornado has been spotted. Tornado sirens sound when a tornado may strike within 15 minutes.
THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:
- If a tornado warning is issued, follow the instructions that will be given over the intercom:
"A tornado warning has been announced and you need to move to a safe area in the building. DO NOT leave the building! Move away from the perimeter and exterior of the building and go quickly to the lower level using corner stairwells of the Library. Stay in the stairwells below the first floor level."
- Staff will evacuate the floors, but will not stay if a patron refuses to leave the area. Staff will close office doors and exit to the nearest corner stairwell.
- The stairwells on the south side leading to the basement are designated safe areas. The stairways below the first floor landing, the basement landing, the weaving room, the area outside of the Telephone offices and into the front of the library storage area in the basement can be used if needed because of the number of people in the library.
- Sit down and protect yourself by putting your head as close to your lap as possible, or kneel, protecting your head. Make every effort to remain calm and encourage those around you to do likewise.
- If you cannot reach the shelter area, seek protection under a desk as far away from the windows as possible.
- Familiarize yourself with this list of UCO tornado shelters and locations map.
- Do not use the elevators
- Do not use the main stairwell under the glass ceiling unless this is your safest and fastest route to the basement
- Do not remain near windows
- Do not leave the building unless you are instructed to do so